Happy National Health Center Week 2016! As a Bronze Sponsor of this year's event, Staff Care is pleased to have the opportunity to remind our clients and healthcare providers of the importance of the nation's health centers.
For more than 30 years, National Health Center Week has been an effort "to recognize the services and contributions of Community, Migrant, Homeless and Public Housing Health Centers," the official Health Center Week website explains. "While there are countless reasons to celebrate America’s Health Centers, among the most important and unique is their long success in providing access to affordable, high quality, cost effective health care to medically vulnerable and underserved people throughout the United States."
Organized by the National Association of Community Health Centers (NACHC), National Health Center Week also aims to draw political attention to the need for continued funding for the nation's community health centers.
"Health centers save the health system more than 24 billion dollars a year and reduce unnecessary hospitalizations," the NACHC argues in an editorial designed to promote this week's event. "They treat patients for a fraction of the cost of one emergency room visit. Health centers not only focus on illness prevention, they reach beyond the walls of the exam room to address the factors that actually cause poor health, such as homelessness, lack of nutrition, stress or unemployment."
Also according to the NACHC, the most active users of the nation's community health centers include:
- more than 7 million children
- nearly 300,000 veterans
- more than 1.1 million homeless
- mostly uninsured or covered only by Medicaid (75 percent of patients)
- living below the federal poverty line (92 percent of patients are 200% below)
Celebrate Health Center Week 2016 with Staff Care
A long-time supporter of National Health Center Week, Staff Care is honored to be a Bronze Sponsor of this week's celebration. We encourage everyone in northeastern Texas to meet us at on Thursday, August 11 for the "Good Start Back to School Giveaway," where the Plano Children's Medical Clinic will be sponsoring a charitable event offering health education, healthy snacks, backpacks, school supplies and more to local children and families.
If you're not local to the Dallas area, what are some other ways you can help celebrate National Health Center Week 2016? The NACHC has some ideas, as listed below. Join us in engaging in the following topics on social media — and don't forget to use hashtags #NHCW16 or #CHCsInnovate to show your support for the nation's community health centers!
How to Support National Health Center Week 2016
• "Do you think your health center is special? Tell us what’s so special about your health center and why you’re celebrating during National Health Center Week."
• "Do you have an outstanding community volunteer, staff or board member at your health center? Tell us about their contributions and how they have helped make YOUR health center successful."
• "Does your health center have a special care program that is providing unique services tailored to meet the needs of YOUR community? Tell us about the unique ways that your health center cares for those in need in your community."
• "Has the health center helped or improved your life or the life of someone you know? Tell us about the ways your health center affected positive change for you or others in the community."
President Issues National Health Center Week Proclamation
So important is National Health Center Week that the nation's highest office is getting involved, too. "This week, let us thank the dedicated professionals in our community health centers who provide quality care at affordable prices," reads the official White House statement on NHCW2016.
"With a strong focus on community-based and patient-centered care, health centers offer more than just treatment for illnesses and injuries; through an emphasis on education and prevention, they promote wellness and help people lead healthier lives.
"Let us build on their efforts to improve the well-being of our people and together continue working to bring about a stronger, healthier Nation for all."
Join Staff Care in supporting National Health Center Week 2016! We invite you to chime in at our social networks on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Plus and YouTube.