The recent, comprehensive physician survey conducted by Merritt Hawkins on behalf of The Physicians Foundation — the "2016 Survey of America’s Physicians: Physician Practice Patterns & Perspectives," which you can access here — has resonated throughout the healthcare industry, with media outlets as diverse as Forbes, Medscape, and the Dallas Business Journal all offering analyses of the findings.
And it's no wonder: As the collective opinion of more than 17,000 practicing physicians nationwide, the survey offers an unprecedented look into the state of physician employment today. In fact, the survey is so abundant with relevant information that Merritt Hawkins — like Staff Care, a company of AMN Healthcare — has created a brief video offering a high-level overview of the information.
While we absolutely recommend taking the time to fully explore the entire report, we can also understand the need for a high-level overview, especially among busy healthcare executives. With that in mind, we invite you to browse Merritt Hawkins' brief video below for a quick glimpse of this groundbreaking physician survey's key takeaways. Just a few of the facts you'll find include:
- 8 out of every 10 physicians report being at workload capacity, or feeling overextended with their current employment, with one half frequently feeling burned out
- More than one-fifth of physicians feel that too much of their day is spend on non-clinical paperwork duties
- 49% of surveyed physicians report that they're planning to retire, seek a non-clinical job, or cut back on their current workload
- 42% of surveyed physicians report that their compensation is tied to quality
- 56% are unfamiliar with MACRA, Medicare's new physician reimbursement program
Video: Key Takeaways from Merritt Hawkins' 2016 Survey of America’s Physicians
If your organization is looking to explore physician employment solutions, we encourage you to contact a Staff Care representative today. We'll be happy to discuss solutions to your physician staffing needs now, and in the years to come.
Contact Staff Care
To access this physician job satisfaction survey data firsthand, you can request your complimentary copy of the Survey of America’s Physicians: Practice Patterns and Perspectives at the Merritt Hawkins website. Like Staff Care, Merritt Hawkins is a company of AMN Healthcare.